The noble mission of the Jivitadana Sangha Hospital since its establishment is to provide medical treatment to the sick irrespective of nationality, race, sex, religion, social status wealth or poverty. It is a non profit, non government humanitarian organization dependent on generous donations of the well wishers.
The Jivitadana Hospital was founded on 8 th May 1940 during the British colonial regime initially as a small dispensary. At that time there was in Yangon, the Ramakrishna Mission Hospital, the Muslim Free Dispensary and the Christian Missionary Hospital which were being managed by members of the Hindu, Muslim and Christian communities.
Retired Deputy Commissioner U Ba Aye who was a staunch nationalist and social welfare minded felt that there should also be a dispensary managed by members of the Buddhist community. With the co-operation and support of his like-minded colleagues he founded the Jivitadana Dispensary at No.73 Gyatawya street, Bahan, near the world renowned Shwedagon Pagoda.
The aims and objects of the founders was To provide free medical treatment to all sick persons irrespective of race, religion, gender or social status'.
From it's inception this dispensary was solely dependent on the donations recieved in Cash and kind and on the charity of the doctors and other person offering their services free of charge. As a consequence of the noble aims and objects of the founders and the unstinted support of the general public, this dispensary was able to function satisfactorily even during the World War II years.
In 1948, the initial founder and President U Ba Aye passed away and was succeeded by High Court Judge Dr Ba U who later became President of the Union of Burma. Under his guidance the present site of the Jivitadana Hopital at 38. Komin Kochin Road was purchased in 1952 with funds provided by donors. An old building situated on this site was temporarily converted into a ten - bedded hospital and on 6 th December 1952 the first Jivitadana Hospital building came into existence.
After the founding of the present Hospital, its activities continued with funds donated by the general public. In 1963 the Ministry of Health of the Government inspected the Hospital premises and sanctioned an annual grant of K 70000/- which was discontinued in 1969.
With the cessation of this annual grant, the Hospital experienced some financial difficulty and therefore the Management Committee approached the State Sangha Maha Nayaka Committee for support and guidance. On their advice and with a view to receive more support from the general public it was decided to re-name the existing Jivitadana Hospital as the Jivitadana Sangha Hospital with effect from 30th March 1972.
The change of name was well- recieved and as more and more funds poured in, new buildings were constructed and developed into a 100 bedded hospital in due course. In 1986 it was felt that there should also be a seperate hospital for nuns. Once again the support and guidance of State Sangha Maha Nayaka Committee was sought and on their advice a seperate three-storeyed hospital was constructed exclusive for nuns and at a reasonable distance away from the hospital for monks.This nuns hospital was opened in 1987 and in 1994 another four-storeyed building was constructed and opened as an annexe to the previous building.
Today, the Jivitadana Sangha Hospital accepts up to 100 monks and 50 nuns as in-patients while its Out- Patients Department has three seperate wings dealing with (a) monks (b) nuns and (c) lay persons. It has two operation theatres for general surgery, one operation theatre for eye operations and one operation theatre for ear, nose and throat operations.